Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm Addicted

What an incredible experience it is when you realize that you have an addiction! Although I've known about it for quite some time, I have to admit that it feels great to admit it out loud and on "e-paper."

As with most addictions it requires a certain amount of money and the more money that I have, the more I will give up readily for my habit. ( You can't imagine how excited I was to figure out how much I would have at the end of my paycheck with each drop in gasoline prices!! That meant I could spend that money on my addiction!)

Just yesterday I kept saying that I had to go to Office Max to get a refill for my favorite pen (which was true) but I had a hidden agenda that I wasn't going to say out loud. You see...I knew that if I was going to go to Office Max or Office Depot that my supplier would be just a few doors down and I could sneak into the store and start salivating over all of the possibilities that would help my mood (one way or another!). So...I mentioned to Brian that I had to get a refill for my pen and off we went (I think he has an addiction too but he still hasn't openly admitted it to me)to the store. I became a bit nervous when Brian decided that Office Max was right close to our house and that we were going to go there. It's off of Centennial Parkway and close to a couple of the other stores that I love to wander through....Petmart to name one of them. The problem here is that I began to get a bit nervous since Brian drove his SUV and was "in control" of which store we would be going to.

We parked the SUV and walked into Office Max. I think that we were two of maybe 10 people in the entire store and it looked like 4 of them were employees! Odd, you would think that it would have been busier on the day after Christmas! Hmmmm.....

As we walked inside the first thought was....PAPER! I like paper....notepads and stickys and highlighters and journals and calendars....and day planners and night planners and oh the end of my list isn't even in sight!!! I just love this store...bubble wrap and tubes and packaging tape....and oh all of those wonderful can't live without things in that store!! It's TRUE! Really it is....

So....I found my way to the aisle where all of the pens were displayed on their own little pegs. Oh what a delight! I LOVE pens just about as much as I LOVE PAPER so I stood just like the little kid staring into the candy store window dreaming about which one I would choose! (Now keep in mind that all I really needed was a refill for the pen that I already have but reason flew out the window as I reached for not just one pen, but a package of THREE !) Black ink, Red ink and of course Blue ink the only color that we can use at work. I quickly found the package and felt a sense of accomplishment as I walked away from the rest of the pens. (There's a sick part of me that knows that these inanimate objects "know" that I'll be back again soon! )

As with every time that Brian and I go into a store he disappears on me shortly after we enter the store. This was no exception. I can usually find him fawning over the computer monitors or the printers or the new laptops or somewhere in the electronic gadgets and I hunt him down each and every time. When I found him I told him that I was ready to go and waited for him to head towards the checkout stand.

Remember....I told you that I was a bit nervous that because he drove and was in control of where we went next that I wouldn't be able to get to my "supplier" without thinking quickly! So I said....it's about 7:15 p.m. and we have a little time before the stores close, do you want to go over to the bookstore? (Here is where little beads of perspiration would appear if this were a movie) He didn't hesitate. He said, "Sure!" (And here's where you would see me doing the "Happy Dance!") I was going to get my fix!!! I was going to be able to wander around and fondle all of the new arrivals at BARNES and NOBLE BOOKS!!!! (And I knew in my heart that before it was all over that we would be heading out the door and back to the SUV with less money then what we went into the store with!) Keeping this in mind...I didn't pause very long at each neatly stacked table of what I like to refer to as "my friends" for fear of having to break out the charge card at the check out stand.

You see.....addicts do know that we have a limit! hahaaa.....

So today I am sitting with a couple of my new "friends." I bought the hardback book....THE AWE-MANAC A Daily Dose of Wonder by Jill Badonsky which has such a whimsical cover that it will make a great table side book for any room! The book is filled with tips to energize anyone and is filled with Anti-aging potions (things that will keep you young through reading) as well as hundreds of creativity prompts for those days when you just can't think of anything to do, say or feel!
I bought a calendar for my kitchen wall. It was half price! That meant that I could take half the cost and apply that money to maybe something else in the store....Burt's bees?....itty bitty book lights...? A new jounal?...or that stuffed animal that I just know that my grandson would love (if his mom would give it to him from me)! Well as it turned out...there was another book that caught my eye and of course my hand quickly snatched it off of the shelf. It's called, READING PEOPLE by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius, Ph.D., and Mark Mazzarella. It was on the New York Times Best Seller list and basically it's a book on how to understand people and predict their behavior--anytime, anyplace. Now this is going to be a good read, I'm sure!

So.....I hunt down Brian again (remember he's gone his way in this store too) and tell him that it's time to go. I think he knows that by my lingering I may spend more than I have and break out a credit card so he immediately stops what he is doing and heads toward the check out stand. Of course most of the time he doesn't buy anything but makes sure that I get to the counter without grabbing anything else along the way. Sure enough.....the calendar and two books and I've spent 44.00! But what treasures I take home in a bag!

I can't wait to share them with you.....! So, if I don't answer my phone right away... call me back! After all I'll need time to get up off of the couch and answer it. You may have to ring twice for a few days (or just until I get these books read and the calendar hung on the wall!)

No comments: