Wednesday, January 7, 2009

TOAST OF THE DAY!

Ahhhhh ....the first week of the new year behind us! All of the parties and those who attended them are safely back to work by now. Resolutions are being followed out faithfully or quickly filed away for next year, maybe.
For me....I dream of the day when I can go out and ring in the new year and not be at work. I'm not much of a party goer but I think that I'd really like to have a pretty dress to begin the new year celebrations. I'd make something up to celebrate if I couldn't come up with something......and that brings me to what I was going to write about here today.

The book that I've been reading....The Awe-manac. I thought I'd share the "Toast of the Day" with you. I thought that it was something to ponder in a world where we take things for granted. So here it is......

"Here's to the amazing convenience of talking to someone on a long distance phone call!"

Makes me think of all of those who left their families back east and headed west. Some never seeing or hearing from them again once they were out of sight in their covered wagons. I think to myself...."Could I have left my mother and my father? My sister and my brothers? My childhood friends and neighbors? Could I have really just packed everything up and said goodbye?" I know the answer today. I couldn't have done that. I would not have been one of the pioneers if I wasn't leaving as an entire family. I couldn't leave anyone behind, knowing I'd never see or hear or touch them again.

So.......Today, I give thanks for the invention of the telephone and the ability to use it whenever we want to and to be able to do it for pennies. I'm hoping that all of you are safe and warm and feel loved as you read this.

Love
Mom

1 comment:

Mandy and Alex said...

I thought of that stuff once before too, but I think a lot of pioneers actually travelled with family (parents, or at least a sibling, or in-law). That's the only way I'd be able to do it, especially before the invention of the telephone.