Sunday, December 30, 2007

THE CHRISTMAS VISITOR OR NEW ROOM MATE



On Christmas Eve 2007, Brian and I were sitting on the couch talking when Gordie, my male shih tsu, made this low "throaty" growl. This got our attention as he rarely makes that sort of a growl when playing with Morgan (my female shih tsu). We shrugged our shoulders and continued talking. Within a minute, Gordie was making some serious growling noises that seemed to us something worth investigating. Sooo...Brian gets up from the couch (thinking that an intruder was outside the patio door and Gordie was warning us) and I follow him. He goes into the kitchen and says to me..."There's a RAT on top of the broom handle!!" I look and sure enough....somebody's white rat has gotten loose, found MY doggie door and has come in from the fridgid weather outside.

It took us just a few minutes to grab the old birdcage, toss in some shredded bills and advertisements for credit cards, a piece of a carrot, some birdseed and an apple slice and a cup of water. As we were staring down on this little RAT, Brian looks at me and says...."We've got a RAT!"

I quickly responded by saying...."NOOOOOoooo.....YOU'VE got a RAT! Merry Christmas!"

We both laughed...the rat ate the food, drank a big drink of water and quickly curled up in the shredded paper for a Christmas Eve snooze. (Rats are pretty smart, they waste no time asking questions!)

We decided that if it was a girl....her name would be EVE. (for Christmas eve) And if he was a boy...his name would be FROSTY (for the fridgid weather conditions outside that night)

Anyway....it's a RAT!!! Some kid lost his pet...or some snake missed his meal!

Mama

4 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

So...are you posting notes around your neighborhood? or are you going to keep it? How are you going to find out if it's a girl or boy?

Mama Harris said...

Well...no I didn't post because I thought it might turn into a snake's meal. And...keeping it? Um..well it is sort of cute, it doesn't do much but eat drink and poop...doesn't take up much room...doesn't sing or bark..Yeah I probably will keep it because it's too big to flush. (haha just kidding!)
And since I don't pick it up and it doesn't roll over on it's back, I guess I'll just call it Frosty Eve! hahaa!
Mama

Jacob and Emily said...

That's funny! Well, maybe you should get it a real cage instead of a bird cage. Maybe it wants to learn how to cook like on Ratatouille!

Mama Harris said...

I've thought about getting it a Habitrail type of cage. It doesn't do much of anything but lay around, eat, drink and poop so I'm weighing just how much of my "gasoline money" I want to spend for a new house for it.

As far as cooking...? The last time it was in my kitchen is the "last" time it will ever be in my kitchen. hahaa...