Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thoughts about my kids

I have 3 kids but they aren't. Aren't? What do I mean by that? Well they aren't "kids." My oldest,who I call Mandy, (who everyone else in the world knows her by Amanda) is 31 years old! It just seems like a few years ago that she was all mine, tiny and needing hugs and kisses and rocking in the rocking chair. Just the two of us for a little while. Now Mandy has Alex to comfort her and I really pray that he does a good job of it.

Then there's Tommy. He's 29 years old! It won't be long and he'll hit that "Big 30!" It's hard to believe that he's married with a son of his own! Where has the time gone..? Can anyone tell me? He lives in Alabama where Rachael and her family are from. He is so far from where he wants to be right now. He wants his son. I know that he wanted to make his marriage work. I have no idea how to help him other then to be here when he needs me. My thoughts are: Tommy is my greatest worry with a marriage that has failed and a future with his child so uncertain.

And last of all is Emily. She is 26 years old! Now I know that I'm really getting old when my "baby" is past 25! It wasn't that long ago...was it? Each year at Christmas I think of Emily when she was just a tiny little thing wanting to know what was in the box that Grandpa and Grandma Harris sent to us. There was a tiny hole in the box about the size of a pencil. Just the right size for her to stick her little finger in and wiggle the hole a little bigger! We all laughed as she worked to get a peek into that box!

I'd go back in time if I could. Just once more to see all of them as babies. Sweet smelling, soft and safely held in my arms. There's nothing better in life then those moments between mother and child. Or mother and children.

4 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

So...who's your favorite?? I know, I know...it's me! I was thinking of that box the other day! What was in it anyway?

Mama Harris said...

Favorite?? Hmmmm....let me see...? Believe it or not, all 3 of you were my favorites. Each of you had such different personalities from one another and yet each unique personality complimented the other so nicely. I remember thinking that you would all be such great friends when you were adults. I watched you as you grew up, even during the tough times that happened between your dad and I, and I could see the love that each of you had for one another. I was so proud of all of you then, as I am today.
I'd love to go back into time for just one more day with all of you near me. Just to hear your voices, to see you running, playing and loving life one more time and to carry you to your beds, tuck you in and kiss you goodnight. And as I would start to leave your room, I would hear you ask for a drink of water, or "Read me a story!"
Ahhh yes, those were the best days of my life!

Mickey said...

Great site & Great Family. I miss having you hear with me and Aunt Ruthann

Uncle Mickey

Mama Harris said...

Smiling here....Mick thinks that this is your blog spot Emily. I guess he didn't read the title called "MAMA'S SPECIAL PLACE"

Um Mick....I'm the Mama! Lol

But I'm glad that you would want Emily back there with you and Aunt RuthAnn.

I miss you too.