Saturday, January 30, 2010

UPDATING THIS BLOG THINGY

Well...gee, where does one start after so many months of not writing a little bit of something each day? July...it was HOT but I was enjoying the garden. August...it was HOTTER but I was still enjoying the garden and PUMPKINS were growing everywhere! September...Not so HOT but the realization that Summer was just about over with and all of the green things were going to start turning that sickly pale green, then yellow and then brown. And of course this is just what happened by October! We had pumpkins, we had watermelons and cantaloupe from our garden. We enjoyed the green peppers and tomatos and of course the lettuce. Many things were learned in our little backyard and I can't wait to get out and get planting this year.

I love container gardening. I suppose it's because I have more control over the amount of sunlight, heat, waterings, and of course the pretty pots. Nothing would make me happier then to have a few BIG beautfiul pots for the new "crops" this year. I pointed out a couple of really beautiful pots to Brian yesterday when we visited Star Nursery. Of course neither of us could afford them but it was incredible to dream about what terrific little plants I'd put into each of them if we could buy them.

Last year Brian made two frames for me for above ground gardening. This year, I'd like for him to increase the height of the sides of the frames. The reason...I'd love to be able to add more dirt and mulch and compost and of course the added height means that I don't have to bend down so far to reap what I've sown!

In the planter boxes right now...I have last years fancy Geraniums but I have a feeling that 3 new plants will be taking the old plants places. The winter got pretty cold and I'm not sure that they are going to make it. I'll still be planting the petunias and I don't think that I'm going to have to worry about marigolds for the rest of my life!!!! These plants took over the flower box and there were enough seeds to replant an entire mountain valley! I'll have to show you when they start coming up this year. I'll include pictures in my next blog.

The backyard needs to be fertilized and of course weed killer will take out most of everything that looks brown right now. It was a beautiful yard last year. This year we are planning on getting rid of that huge "CAT BOX" off of the patio. We want to remove the "sand" and put in a couple tons of black dirt. Brian has his eye on planting there so I'll leave that up to him to play with.

Well....let's see....November...Thanksgiving....we spent it with my sister and family! And had such a nice time. She knows how to put together a dinner like no other and everything is done at the right time, the perfect temperature and looks beautiful! We even got a HUGE plate of everything to take home to enjoy for the next few days!

December.....nobody was able to come home to see me and I wasn't in any financial way to go see any of them. I was able to send my grandson a tricylce and a talking truck for Christmas and that made me very excited that he would at last get a present or two from me. Unfortunately, as it turned out, my son didn't go pick up the presents from the UPS center and they were returned to the store from which they were sent. Nice going Tom....can't explain just how great you made this grandma feel...!

The New Year came and went....and I was sooooo glad to see 2009 disappear into the ages. It was a horrible year for finances. It was a horrible year for travel. It was a horrible year for the economy and the only thing that I kept telling myself is that 2010 will be soooo much better!

And so far....it's turned out to be just that!
Looking forward to Spring and to Summer!

2 comments:

Mandy and Alex said...

Glad to see that you have possibly ended your blog strike. You left out January, since it's only a day away from being officially over. Any plans for Feb?

Jacob and Emily said...

Nice recap! The spring will be here in no time and you'll be back outside engulfed in nature. I'm jealous.